October 26, 2020

We voted! Twice! (Legally)

Every now and then, the New Zealand elections will fall in the same year as a Federal US election, and 2020 was one of those years.  In the space of a week, we voted twice - in NZ and by absentee ballot for the US election.

The elections are run so very differently, and it is such an interesting contrast to me.  While the US reelection campaign starts at least 1 year (sometimes 2 years) out from the election, the NZ one is only a few weeks.  Of course, the different parties here start fluffing their feathers out as soon as the election date is announced (by the PM - they pick the date, which is always a Saturday, in the third year of their term). This year had the added complication of Covid-19 - due to a resurgence in the community, the election was delayed by 1 month.  


Early voting here began 2 weeks before the election date, and it appears voters had already made up their minds and were keen to vote. Over 1 million votes were cast before election day (approximately 45% of the vote). Campaigning must end by midnight the night before election day; billboards must be pulled down, and all ads, including on social media, must stop.  I feel this is a bit outdated considering how many vote early.


And the voting itself? Easy.  Every registered voter received an "EasyVote" card in the mail, which we just needed to take to a polling place.  Any polling place - and there were heaps of them, with clear signage.  

Darren and I only waited about 5 minutes on the first day of early voting at the location we chose in Wellington city.  We signed in to the location with the Covid Tracer app, 'washed' our hands with sanitizer, received a pen to mark the ballot with, then received the ballot.  The poll worker makes several checks to ensure the person presenting the card is the correct person, then handed me the ballot for my area (Wellington City), as well as the two referendums we were voting on.  A few minutes in the booth and done!  
The Electoral Commission lays it all out so simply in both English and Maori: https://www.vote.nz/voting/2020-general-election/how-to-vote/



The polls closed at 7pm on election day, and we had preliminary results from the early voting by 7:15, with the final* result announced around 11pm.  The actual final election results (which include special votes) will be announced on November 6th.  The referendum results will also be announced that day.

I will note that we were very happy with the results and have high hopes for the next three years.


Now.  The US election...

It was not quite as easy.  Every state is different, and Maryland makes it medium-difficult to vote from abroad.  I first had to contact them to request the paperwork to request an absentee ballot.  The request was confirmed, at which point I then had to complete paperwork to request the actual ballot via email.  After a couple more weeks, the ballot was received.  I could have dropped off my ballot to the US Embassy or Consulate, but I didn't receive it in time.  Instead, I mailed it via international courier at the cost of $51!  Compared to those standing in line for 12 hours? Pretty low cost.

As of this writing, I have received notification from NZ Post that my envelope was delivered.  Maryland, however, has not yet acknowledged that my ballot was received or counted.  I'll update if/when that happens.

The election itself has me on edge, and I have scheduled to take some time off of work in case I need to deal with unpleasant feelings after election day. Let's hope I can save my vacation time for a more pleasant reason...




1 comment:

Rick said...

I think many people are using a few days of holiday to digest whatever way this election goes. I have thought about taking Wednesday and Thursday off just to watch what I hope to be Tucker Carlson, Judge Jeanine, Sean Hannity, Dana Perino, and basically, the entire crew of Fox News, perform hari-kari on live television.