March 05, 2009

Music you probably never knew existed.

... and maybe you will be happier for it, but what the hell, I like it.

Ok seriously, you ever decide to go to a concert and the headlining band is pretty good or even great, but one or two of the opening bands leaves you standing there with your mouth wide open? Well this one goes out to all of "those bands". The ones that you probably have never heard of and probably should because they are awesome.

Sure the music may not be to your usual taste, but give it a try, check out a few songs and yes (shameless plug) buy their stuff and keep them playing.  

Let me also say that it has taken me a long time to write this, so please excuse any punctuation and/or spelling errors.  This is music class people, not english.  That's next period!

First I will start of with my friends. What, come on you would too!

Sirsy has been around for quite a few years now. I met them at a gig in Upstate New York, in Albany during Artscape. While the number and range of the band has changed dramatically over the years, the sound that they produce has always managed to jump off the stage and wrap you up in amazingly tight rhythms, lyrics and general stage presence.
 Check out
their media page and listen to some of their work. If you like pop/Rock and can't resist a female vocalist that can croon like Nina Simone as well as howl like Janis Joplin (yes really), you will really dig Sirsy.

So, anyone who knows me (and Dawn as well) knows I love Irish and Scottish Music. Give me bagpipes and a fiddle and I am a very happy listener (again, yes really).  Now say you want to throw in a banjo, an accordion, some drums, a bass and a few kick ass riffs on a guitar and what do you have!  Awesomeness!  Or on other words, the
Dropkick Murphys!  Dropkick has been around for a long time and have evolved from low end punk band to amazing Irish roots band that moves between genres, from Dylan-esque rhythms to the sex pistols crunch and yells.   How good are they, well in the middle of poor health and the death of his wife (Deirdre), they managed to get Ronnie Drew (from The Dubliners), Spider Stacy (from The Pogues) and their whole band together to record their own amazing take on the tradition all Lannigans Ball (Flannigan's Ball).  This once in a lifetime compilation is loud and raucous and features both Ronnie and Spider's unique voices alongside Dropkicks' Al and Ken.  This band aside form being all very talented musicians are also class act, stand up guys and a lot of fun to hang out with.  We opened for the a few times and would never miss a show if they were close enough.  Thanks for the music guys!  

While we are on an Irish kick and talking about friends, if you like something rockin' but not so heavy as Dropkick, check out Flogging Molly.  This band mixes traditional instruments with guitars and the like to give a punk-lite show that merges from bluegrass to rock, all with a a very liberal/Irish flair.  They put on a great show and always aim to get their audience up and about.  In fact the last show we saw them at, lead singer Dave King had the flu and managed to hold it together for a couple of hours of playing.  What a professional!

Now those that really know Dawn and I know our often STRANGE tastes in music and this next band is NO exception.
Gogobordello is essentially a pirate circus put to music and run through amps till you have no choice but to walk the plank, the tight-rope or just scream at the top of your lungs.  The best part is that if you choose the later you may find your fitting right in with the rhythms of this amazing Gypsy punk band.  Seriously, this is one of the most amazing and most bizarre shows I have ever been to and if you know me you know I have seen some crazy sh*t!  Don't believe me that this is some amazing nutty stuff?  Check it out and listen for yourself!  Remember this is louder stuff and unique because of it's band and lead singer Eugene's Russo-Ukranijano-Romano heritage.  

Gypsy punk is a genre I had never heard of until they opened for Flogging Molly and Dawn and I went crazy for them after that.  Seriously people, even if the music doesn't really appeal to you, go see this show, you will be amazed!


OK, so that wraps up part 1 of Music you probably didn't know existed.  I am certain there will be a part 2 to this post, but since it has taken be the better part of 4 months to get off my butt and finish this post, it may be a while.  Let me know what you think of the bands and if you want any recommendations about sings or albums to check out, give us a shout.

4 comments:

Blaise said...

actually, other than Sirsy (which I'll check out soon!) I know, and have most of the albums for the bands mentioned :P

Given your taste for celtic / punk you might want to check out The Tossers. If you're into more celtic rock, Great Big Sea's not a bad option either (definitely not punk rock though) and if you want straight ahead east coast hardcore (where the dropkick murphys come from ) Avail's a good band to check out. Of course, Rise Against does melodic hardcore fairly well.

I'm still not sure about gogol bordello. I'm torn between really loving the concept and not really getting into the actual songs. I'll give it a few more listens though.

Katie said...

Bryce and I have been fans of Flogging Molly for a little over two months now :)

Gotta love xm radio for broadcasting music you wouldn't normally hear on mainstream.

dmosher626 said...

Thanks Blaise! I have hear dof (and have some cd's by) The Tossers and know Great Big Sea by reputation but never heard of Avail, so I will be checking them out VERY soon! Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud to say I've heard both the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly :) I'll have to check the others out